Health. Primal Nutrition. Exercise. Motherhood. Sustainability & Creating various things.




Why I don't Follow My Nutrition Plan 100%

Awhile back I posted about how I was going to trial eating Sugar, grain and dairy free. Due to the reading and research I had done into nutrition.

It has now been 6 weeks since changing the way I eat and I have noticed a remarkable change in the way I feel. The biggest change I have noticed is that I can now last for about 4 hours after eating without hunger or sugar cravings when previously I would be unbearably hungry after 2 hours. I have also noticed that my energy stays consistent throughout the day without an afternoon crash, that I previously battled with.

Meal preparation took a bit of getting used to (so did black coffee!) but with a bit of creativity and the willingness to change it is now effortless, a typical day would look something like this:

Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs and a black coffee (it doesn't seem like much food but it really fills me up)

Lunch: Leftovers from the previous nights dinner

Afternoon snack: Nuts and fruit or Sesame Crackers with peanut butter

Dinner:  Meat (cuts that have a higher fat content) and Vegetables

Supper: Maybe some fruit if I feel like it

Eating this way has made me realise just how much grain, dairy and sugar the majority of people consume.  When eating at a cafe or at someone else's house it was virtually impossible to stick to my plan. This was the biggest challenge I encountered with eating this way. I tried to think up ways that I could politely avoid consuming sugar, grains or dairy even reading articles and various blog posts about the topic........

But then I thought about it in my own time and have come to the conclusion that, for me food serves 2 purposes; the most important is to nourish my body, so the majority of the time I will prepare meals that fit in with what makes me feel energised and well. Secondly, the preparation and sharing of food is an expression of love and friendship, so I am going to embrace this, be balanced and enjoy food that is prepared for me, nor will I force those that I prepare food for to conform to the way I eat because what works for me, may not work for another.

In the words of William Wolcott, author of 'The Metabolic Typing Diet' "Dietary Solutions need to be tailored to the individual beacause what works for one person, may have no efect on another person, and may make a third person worse"

No comments: